Frasier Fan Club
Hello there and welcome to The Frasier Fan Club! Smile

If you're a Frasier fan and would like to become part of our humble community, please click on the register button on the nav bar. This will take you through the steps to creating an account for you.

Not ready yet? No worries. Have a browse through our topics at your leisure. When you're ready, you know where to go!

Thanks for visiting.

Regards,
John (Admin)
Frasier Fan Club

The new discussion boards for the hit NBC sitcom 'Frasier' that ran from 1993-2004.

Homepage  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  GalleryGallery  MemberlistMemberlist  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  Website Links  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  Guestbook  Contact Us  

Share | 

Expensive purchases

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Expensive purchases   Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Has anyone ever bought something because they saw it on Frasier? A bottle of wine, a piece of furniture...
I've always wanted an Eames lounge chair, but can't bring myself to spend so much!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PistolPoet

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:40 am

Hot'n'Foamy! Very Happy
I've always wanted a Chihuly piece, but there ain't no way I'll ever afford it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:13 pm

That vase is impressive, but I'd be terrified someone knocked it over!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tasos

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Facsimile (aka fake) lounge chairs are made in china these days for a fraction of the real thing. Ive seen a few and they are impressive copies. If you really covet the real thing but can't afford one....try the Chinese option.

By the way, i've always wanted to afford Frasier's view and I can't afford it! :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PatrickD

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Tasos wrote:
Facsimile (aka fake) lounge chairs are made in china these days for a fraction of the real thing. Ive seen a few and they are impressive copies. If you really covet the real thing but can't afford one....try the Chinese option.

By the way, i've always wanted to afford Frasier's view and I can't afford it!  :-)

Well, if it's any consolation, that view doesn't really exist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:37 pm

You could always print a massive Seattle skyline and stick it to your window. Much cheaper than a posh apartment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eddie2012

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:10 pm

I want the Chihuly bowl AND the Eames chair! And a little coffee set Frasier brings out in one episode - white an dark blue cups with a silver coffee can on a silver tray. But no, no expensive purchases so far, they'd be TOO expensive :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:23 pm

I first tried a bottle of Gewurztraminer after hearing it on Frasier. I think it was in Whine Club, Niles said to Frasier "Prepare to be stomped like a late harvest Gewurztraminer!" when they were competing for cork master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PatrickD

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 pm

I'd like the Stonehenge TV set and its gianormous speakers.Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DiceMan

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:44 am

shopping around for a perky live-in maid as we speak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShinChuck

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:17 am

I tried some cream sherry because of Frasier. Gonna specifically get some Harvey's Bristol Cream once I make some profits from some books I'm working on. So, hopefully I can make at least $15, hahah.

I'm studying to be a psychologist as well, so there's that.

DiceMan wrote:
shopping around for a perky live-in maid as we speak

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banix

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Sun May 17, 2015 3:07 pm

I have bought an Eames lounge chair because of seeing it on Frasier. In retrospect I think it was definitely worth the money. It is a great chair. Now I can enjoy Frasier with a glas of sherry while sitting in the Eames!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Thu May 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Banix, stop trying to make us all jealous  Razz  Do you have a photo of it in your house? Until I can afford to spend that much on a chair, I'll just have to weep over my glass of Chateauneuf du Pape that I received on my birthday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banix

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 am

Its is actually a funny story. I am a medical student so my income is not very high. When I first saw Frasier I liked the chair and promised myself that I would buy one when I moved away from home to begin my studies. This was without knowing anything about the chair (especially the price). When I discovered the prices here in Europe (which is about twice that of the US version) I started to plan an elaborate scheme on how to import the chair from the US. Herman Miller the US maker of the chair does not export to Europe and its retailers are also prohibited from doing so. So I saved up for 1.5 years, studied the chairs construction in detail and then order both the chair and the largest suitcases sold in America to my hotel while on a one week medical conference in Colorado. I knew that if the chair or suitcases would be delayed and I would miss them during my stay I would be properly fucked. But it went well and the chair arrived the first day of my stay. I remember going down to the consigliere and asking if the had received my package. He started to look under his desk and I told him that this would be a slightly bigger package (it is over 1 cubic meter in size). He then found it in another room and when trying to deliver it to my room we discovered they it would not fit through the door. So, I had to unbox the chair and ottoman in the hallway in front of the staff (pretending like it is completely normal to order furniture to your hotel room) to bring it in to my room. In my room I had taken all to tools necessary to dismantle the chair with me from home. I then packaged the chair and ottoman into 6 suitcases (I was travelling with my parents and siblings so the number of suitcases was not a problem). Without damage, loss or detection in customs (which would have ruined me) I managed to bring the chair back to Sweden where it now stands in my otherwise modest student apartment. I love it and because of the price difference between Europe and the US I can sell it here for about 1000 $ more than I paid for it (including the extra suitcase and travel costs), so it also serves as an investment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Fri May 22, 2015 9:16 am

Wow, now that's dedication! Would you be interested in doing it again for me? Wink Haha!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banix

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Fri May 22, 2015 9:47 am

I have actually done it twice. The other time I brought back an Eames aluminium executive chair. But it is a lot of work and some stress around the item being delayed and arriving after one has left the hotel.

Now I am interested in getting the small rotating drawers to the left of the fireplace. I suspect they are custom made for the show but It should be relatively easy to make it. Either myself or a carpenter. The question is weather I should go for the original cherry or upgrade to something different like walnut or rosewood (although rosewood is really precarious to obtain).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Fri May 22, 2015 9:54 am

I always liked the small side-table that sat next to the couch. Once I eventually move house, I can start looking at some furniture upgrades!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banix

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Fri May 22, 2015 10:37 am

The table next to the Coco Chanel couch with spheres on it and a glass top is the Nick Berman Design Floating Ball side table from the Mimi London showroom in the Pacific Design Center, which was purchased for $2250.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 am

I feel like Frasier or Niles trying to track down a rare antique! (Although my item isn't nearly as rare or expensive!). I've been looking for a Royal Doulton bulldog (from the James Bond film Skyfall, which is now discontinued and out of stock all over Europe) but I didn't want to pay the inflated prices on Amazon and Ebay. I found it in Canada, paid for it, and was then informed that the postage had tripled from their original quote.
I then found it on sale on the BBC America store, and got it shipped to the hotel of a colleague who is in San Francisco. After stressing out that it wouldn't arrive in time, and my colleague saying he hasn't received it (despite the FedEx tracking saying it had been delivered), my colleague has informed me that he now has it, the day before he leaves for another location. Hopefully I should have it in my possession in a couple of weeks.
Now I know how the Cranes must feel when they're desperate to get their hands on a Noel Coward pen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tasos

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:55 am

Ha ha - great story!

I've collected a fair amount of antique art (no Rembrandts!!) over the years. The feeling of getting something home and watching it look amazing in the spot you just knew would be perfect. Love it

Always appreciated Frasier's attention to detail in Apartment 1901
Back to top Go down
View user profile
goranmagdic

PostSubject: Re: Expensive purchases   Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 am

I've finally got my hands on my Royal Doulton bulldog from Skyfall! It has been a rather stressful and drawn-out affair, but that'll teach me for being so indecisive and not just ordering one when I first had the chance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Expensive purchases
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1